Knowing your fears
No matter what is going on around us we still have dreams and goals. For some people fear can hinder their goals. Their dreams can become their worst nightmares. Before you can free your fears you must know what they are. Overcoming your fears can prove to be one of the hardest things in your life you will ever do. But, it can be done. Let’s look some strategies here and get some understanding to overcome this area.
What is your fears?
- You must identify your fear. Give it a name. If you can identify it, you can conquer it. You cannot conquer something you don’t recognize.
- Is this fear you have rational or irrational? Can this fear hurt you? If you fear something but it can’t harm you then it is irrational. It has no power and you need not fear it.
- If the fear can hurt you, then there may be some validation to it. You can work with this fear and devise a plan on how to deal with it that will bring you some comfort and clarity.
Confront your fear.
- Face your fear. Find out what the Word of God has to say about this area you fear and what God says is a solution to free your fears. Talk about this fear to others. Don’t keep it hidden from others. See what you can do to confront the fear head on. Denial is a great enemy to overcoming fear.
- You don’t have to face it all alone. Reach out to your loved ones for support. They’ll be happy to help you overcome something that’s preventing you from having a better life.
- Find a safe way to confront the fear. Talk to a trusted person and start with a scaled down version of your fear and face it.
Make up your mind.
- Mind over matter is a great tool to free your fears. Sometimes just making up your mind to change works. Simply making a decision to change starts you on the road to success. The fear was born in your mind and grew in your mind because that is where you fed it. So changing your thinking will help.
- Believe the truth. If your fear is an irrational one and you believe it to be true then the power of TRUTH will counter that. Many fears we have are those we’ve created for ourselves. The moment something causes you to become fearful, stop that thought in its tracks and go the Word of God and replace it with the TRUTH of His Word.
Studying the Bible God’s Word is the best weapon to conquer your fears.
- Believers need not be slaves to fear. Romans 8:15; 2 Timothy 1:7.
- You need not be afraid if God is your helper. Hebrews 13:5-6; Psalm 118:6-7.
- Trust in God casts out fear. Psalm 56:3-4; Psalm 56:10-11
- Do not fear those who can kill the body. Matthew 10:28
- Perfect love drives out fear. 1 John 4:18